ad

Video Of the Day

Keith Powers & Jasmine Mathews Interview: The Tomorrow War

The Tomorrow War is now hitting Amazon Prime Video on July 2 after pandemic delays took it away from its would-be theatrical run last year. The Blockbuster action film is set during a global draft that forces soldiers to travel to the future to fight a terrifying battle against an incredibly violent alien race.

But every story has two sides, and the soldiers who came from the future have their own perspective. Jasmine Mathews (The Rookie) and Keith Powers (Famous in Love) represent those who were ripped from their own time to warn humanity and train a new army before its too late. Despite being technologically advanced and somewhat more prepared, they feel just as hopeless as those newly inducted to the war - but they can't show it.

Related: Chris Pratt Mocks Halo Comparisons To The Tomorrow War

Mathews and Powers spoke to Screen Rant about how their characters handle the unexpected circumstances, and how they collaborated with director Chris McKay on telling the most authentic story possible.

 

Jasmine, can you talk a little bit a little bit about Lieutenant Hart's mindset at the start of the movie? Because she seems super cool under pressure, yet at the same time, the fate of the world is on her shoulders What's going on there?

Jasmine Mathews: When we see Lieutenant Hart and we're first introduced to her, we're getting the middle of her story. Keeping in mind that this is the first time anybody in history has ever jumped back into the future - or jumped, period - there's that, "Oh, my God. We actually did it. We made it," [feeling]. She's coming from a war fighting these vicious aliens, she's left her loved ones behind, and not understanding why she was given this position to help recruit. Why is this responsibility on me?

There's all this doubt and fear and worry of not even being able to get back to the future, on top of the [question of], "What if they don't hear me? What if they don't understand this plea, and they question me and put me in prison or something?"

All of that was playing, but knowing the war that she just came from - and knowing that if she does not get this message across, her people could die? That's why she is that calm and cool, and just delivers the message the way it needs to be delivered.

Keith, Major Greenwood is Romeo Command's right-hand man, I love that dynamic between you two. Can you talk about building that bond with Yvonne? Especially because we don't get to know your whole story, like Jasmine said.

Keith Powers: Being Yvonne's right hand was just easy, because I felt like I was like that off screen. And I felt like I was learning [from him]. It's weird, playing that character, I started realizing how protective I was of her in real life in a natural way. It was just like, "Yo, I gotta be there for Yvonne." Whatever she needs from me as an actor, I gotta give her more.

And it was just inspiring to watch her. It really was; it's just so dope. I've watched her in Handmaid's Tale, and I remember telling her. She just got shy, like, "Oh, yeah, it's crazy. The show is crazy. What have you seen?" And I was like, "Nah, it's good. You really kill it."

But it was easy to just translate that onscreen, so it was easy working with her. I consider her an A-lister. Sometimes you work with A-list actors and stuff, and you always feel like, "I might say something dumb, or I might not give them enough or they might like be irritated by me." And I didn't get that vibe from her at all. She was really cool.

I love Chris McKay, but I know him from animation such as Lego Batman. What was the process of collaborating with him on this big-budget live-action film like?

Jasmine Mathews: Honestly, McKay is like the actor's dream director. From the very beginning, he was interested in our take on the character, and what we would bring as Jasmine and Keith to the characters.

Even something as simple as the fact that I wear this gold African necklace. He said, "I like that. Would you mind giving that to the character?" And that's how Lieutenant Hart ended up wearing her black African necklace.

He was very much into what you would, as a person, do in this situation - and just bringing that to the character. And he's very observant about what you would do as an actor. Oftentimes, he would say, "You notice that thing that you just did? I like that. Do more of that." He's so observant; it's incredible.

Keith Powers: He'll watch you offscreen and really want that in the screen. It's funny that she's bringing that up about the African necklace, because Chris would asked me on some [occasions]. Especially in ADR: maybe I'd have to say, "Colonel!" and he'd be like, "What would you say instead of Colonel if you were trying to get Romeo Command's attention?" I was like, "I'd be like, 'Yo!'" He was like, "Say that." I was like, "For real?"

And I think thought that was so cool, because we don't see that. And that's how movies become cliché, because everyone is acting how they feel like they're supposed to act rather than just being. And he was just like, "You're in war, sometimes you're not gonna stick to the terminology. Sometimes you're gonna say 'Yo.'" I was like, "That's fire."

I love that. That makes me want to work [with him]. I wish I could work with him on every movie he does. I wish you could just take a director with you, and be like, "I just want to be in all your movies. I'm good."

More: Tomorrow War Final Trailer: Chris Pratt Fights Aliens to Save the Future



from ScreenRant - Feed https://ift.tt/3qyLkcV
Keith Powers & Jasmine Mathews Interview: The Tomorrow War Keith Powers & Jasmine Mathews Interview: The Tomorrow War Reviewed by Riyad on June 28, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

ad2

Powered by Blogger.