ad

Video Of the Day

Jodie Comer Interview: Free Guy | Screen Rant

Free Guy, arriving in theaters on August 13, has a dual narrative taking place in the video game world and in real life – and it has a lot to say about both. In particular, Millie (codename Molotov Girl, played by Jodie Comer) must complete an important mission in the Free City game to make an even greater change in her own life. Thankfully, she has Ryan Reynolds’ friendly NPC Guy to help her.

Related: Free Guy: 5 Upcoming Jodie Comer Roles (& 5 From Ryan Reynolds)

Comer spoke with Screen Rant about mixing romcom and action, falling in love with both film worlds, and singing Mariah Carey tunes.

Screen Rant: You effectively get to play a character that's in a romcom, is an action star, and a reluctant God all at the same time. Can you talk to me about Millie and Molotov girl?

Jodie Comer: Yeah, I want to voice everything that you've just said. I think for me, this idea of playing two different characters who come from one woman was really exciting to me. The physicality and the action part was probably my biggest challenge on this movie, and just seeing how much work and effort goes into making these action sequences authentic and real. And they provide so much entertainment for the film. I think that was my trickiest part. It was definitely what I took away from it the most, having learned that.

Millie in the real world is kind of defeated; she's really fighting against the law. But she's very resilient, and she has a really strong innate belief in herself. Whereas, obviously, Molotov is all about the exterior. She's badass and she can do all of these things. Their strengths kind of play in two different ways.

This concept is very original, and it's surprisingly thought-provoking. What was it about the script that spoke to you and did it evolve from reading it to seeing it on screen?

Jodie Comer: I think you're right. I've seen the film spoken about online as an action-comedy and, you're right, it is so much more than that. And I think that's what's really surprising people when they're watching the film: it does have a lot of heart, and it has a very human story at the center of it. It's very much about connection and finding our own agency within the world. 

And I felt that before. We shot this before the pandemic and everything that's happened since then, so it's kind of beautiful that now the film provokes that emotion times 10. It's way more intense when you watch it because we've all experienced so much since then.

I think the first draft of the script, there was just so much on the page. I was so intrigued [by] how they were going to do half in the real world and half in a video game. I was wondering how that was going to translate, and I love that the video game feels like the real world. The buildings are concrete; we filmed it in Boston. It can be a bit trippy sometimes because you don't know which world that you're in. But I think they did such an amazing job.

You also get to cover a famous Mariah Carey song, "Fantasy," and it got stuck in my head for the longest time. Can you talk to me about that? That seemed like a lot of fun.

Jodie Comer: It came from a text of Ryan's because this was months and months after we finished. He was like, "Would you be up for singing a Mariah Carey song over this part of the film?" Which is such a beautiful part of the film. He kind of sent me a template, and I was like, "Yeah, okay." I went to L.A., and we recorded it in Capital Records, I think it was. They were like, "The Beatles have sung in here, and The Rolling Stones." I was like, I got it for free. 

So, my album's out next month. No, it was terrifying. But it was great. The film's full of lots of little easter eggs, so it was fun to be a part of it in that way.

Next: Every Upcoming Sci-Fi Movie in 2021



from ScreenRant - Feed https://ift.tt/37zysuK
Jodie Comer Interview: Free Guy | Screen Rant Jodie Comer Interview: Free Guy | Screen Rant Reviewed by Riyad on August 10, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

ad2

Powered by Blogger.